Creating a chart can be extremely useful for Excel users, especially users who need to communicate complicated or difficult information in an engaging and user-friendly way. When you first create a chart, the chart wizard gives you the option of saving the chart as an object in the existing worksheet or creating a new sheet to hold the graph.
The decision you make at that point is not irrevocable. You can go back later and move the chart to another worksheet. This can be a big help, especially if you are preparing a new presentation and need to present the chart on its own, without the accompanying spreadsheet cells.
To Move a Chart to a New Location or a New Worksheet
- Select the chart by clicking on it. You will see a border around the chart to let you know it has been selected.
- Click the Chart Tools tab.
- Go to the Layout tab and select Chart Area on the Current Selection drop-down list.
- Drag the chart to another location on the worksheet.
- Click the Design tab on the Chart Tools section and click Move chart if you prefer to move the chart to another worksheet.
- Choose the New Sheet option when the dialog box opens.
You can also move a chart by simply right-clicking on it and choosing Move. This opens the move dialog box and allows you to change the location of the selected chart.